If you have a bathtub at home, and many have it, then most likely you already know one of her “cute” habits. They really like to clog baths. However, shells sin no less. And, most importantly, at the most inconvenient moment. Why is this happening? How to get rid of blockage? Let's try to figure it out.
Why blockages appear
The causes of blockages can be very diverse. The most common and frequent:
- the accumulation of various spools, debris, wool and hair inside the siphon, as well as on the walls of the pipes, occurring after draining the washing machine;
- waste with water after mopping;
- improper installation of the siphon, insufficient slope of the sewer pipes;
- old sewer system.
In addition, if hot water does not pour into the bath for a long time, this contributes to the accumulation of fat, to which the remaining dirt adheres - this is another reason for the obstruction of water in the sewer system.
How to eliminate blockage yourself
Of all the possible blockage removal technologies, three main techniques can be distinguished:
- The mechanical method. If everything is bad in your bathtub and there is a real cork from garbage and dirt inside the drain, then the best solution would be to make a little effort and work with a plumbing cable. At the end of this cable there is a shank like a brush. It clings to itself all the dirt, and thanks to its flexibility and length, it can reach even the deepest places.
- Hydraulic method. Everyone is well aware of such a device as a plunger. For many, it definitely stands somewhere in the bathroom. The plunger belongs to the hydraulic means of combating blockages. With its help, you can create water pressure, which with its pressure destroys pollution on the pipe walls. In addition, there are various hydraulic hoses with spray nozzles.
- Chemical method. You can successfully deal with pollution with the help of chemical products. On the shelves you can find various reagents that break down the blockage into components. Quite successfully, you can use household chemicals. Chemicals remove grease that sticks together dirt, and residues can be removed with a plunger.
When choosing tools that can clean the blockage, we often make the choice in favor of reliable and proven devices. The plumbing cable has the form of a spring reaching a length of up to ten meters, its diameter can be six or nine millimeters. To make it easier to rotate the cable, there is a handle at the end.
For greater efficiency, the end of the cable is equipped with a nozzle. It allows you to catch trash. In order to use the cable, it is necessary to remove the siphon to remove all accumulated dirt from it. The end of the cable with the nozzle is inserted into the sewer hole. By turning the handle, the cable is progressively moving. If you feel resistance, you need to make several forward and backward movements. This procedure is repeated several times until the resistance is eliminated. Do not forget to rinse the cable in warm water.
Attention! Be careful when cleaning. You should not put much effort so that the cable does not damage the pipes.
This is the thing that every self-respecting owner should have. This is one of the best and easiest ways to deal with blockages. It is effective, easily deals with pollution, is inexpensive. By its action does not harm the sewer.
It is made in the form of a rubber hemisphere, on the top of which a handle is mounted. Using the handle, air is pumped, which creates pressure to push the blockage. In stores you can see an extensive assortment of these products. The plunger is used in the following way:
- The plunger must be installed on the drain hole. Bleed the handle a few times. If the flow is slow, then the procedure is repeated.
- To enhance the action, you can do the following. Cover the drain with a stopper. Pour hot water into the bath. Then remove the cork so that the water fills the pipe.
- Then we install the plunger again and push the clog with it. In this case, the hole overflow is better to close tightly.
- After the procedure, you need to check the drain. If the drain is good, then turn on the hot water and rinse the pipe. Otherwise, the whole procedure should be started again.
Having a curved shape, siphons are most prone to clogging. Eliminating the blockage, it is usually removed. The siphon itself is cleaned in this way:
- Under it you need to put a rag or some container. Unscrew nuts that hold down pipe and corrugation.
- Using a screwdriver, unscrew the screw securing the drain grill. The flask is easy to remove, you can remove the corrugation, which is suitable for sewage.
- To dissolve a detergent in hot water and to put down all the removed elements. They must be thoroughly washed from accumulated dirt.
- After flushing, put everything in place in the reverse order. Then you need to supply water and check for leaks. If there are no smudges, you can use it.
Television and advertising have done their job. Through their efforts, the chemical means for eliminating blockages have gained widespread popularity. Almost all manufacturers assure us that their products can do everything - get rid of lime deposits, dissolve paper, organics, body fat and everything else.
Despite this "omnivorous", the reagents do not harm the pipes themselves. On the shelves of shops you can see various gels, liquids, powders and granules.
The following products were most popular:
- Bagi Pothan.
- Deboucher Aqualon.
How to prevent blockages
The best way to combat pollution is to prevent it from occurring. It’s easier to prevent clogging than trying to break through it later. Follow these guidelines:
- Install a protective grill on the drain hole. She will allow to detain dirt and hair.
- Once or twice a year, preventive cleaning of pipes with chemicals should be carried out. This will prevent the accumulation of fat and limestone deposits on the pipe walls.
- Try to rinse the pipes more often with hot water.
- If you drain hot water from the washing machine, then do not be lazy to take a plunger and clean the pipes.
Eliminating blockages, apply all methods in a complex. Most of them are easily plunged.