Many hostesses have long appreciated the advantages of acrylic-coated baths. Products have an attractive appearance, resistant to pollution, perfectly maintain the temperature of the water.
Acrylic bath requires careful handling. However, even with all the standards of operation, avoiding the appearance of chips and cracks is quite difficult. Do not despair if small defects appear - you will not need to buy a new bath, you can repair the damage yourself.
How to get rid of scratches on acrylic bath
Purchasing and installing an acrylic bath is just the beginning. It is equally important to try to preserve its original appearance for a long time. But if this was not possible, you need to use a few tips.
Attention! Before proceeding with the removal of defects, thoroughly wash the entire surface of the bowl, and then dry it.
Even minor damage is required to be repaired in time. Otherwise, with constant contact with liquid, the surface of the sanitary ware will begin to deteriorate. This will lead to the fact that the bath will have to be replaced with a new one.
Prepare the surface before removing the damage:
- Rinse the bowl with water.
- Apply a small amount of detergent to the damaged surface. Leave it for a few minutes.
- Using a soft cloth, gently treat the place of application of detergent.
- Wash away the remnants of the cleaning substance with running water, then wipe dry the surface of the bowl.
You must also purchase the following:
- Polish You can buy a plastic polish in the store for motorists.
- Emery paper. Requires a version with a hardness of 1200 and 2500.
- Special pencil for acrylic surfaces.
To eliminate defects, you can use one of two options. The first one is grinding damage. It is cheaper, but with frequent use the coating thickness will decrease. The second is the filling of cracks and chips with a solution. It is more expensive, and the bathroom can not be used within 24 hours.
Grinding damage is as follows:
- First, the surface is treated with "sandpaper" with a granularity of 1200;
- the second step is polishing with an emery paper with a hardness of 2500;
- the last stage - with a soft cloth soaked in polish, you must carefully wipe the treated surface.
For the second method, you will need to purchase a special repair kit. It includes a pencil, a brush and a one-component paint. Repair looks like this:
- Using a brush should be applied to the composition, which has the consistency of sour cream, an even layer on the place of formation of the defect.
- Apply paint to the treated surface. She should cover the bath until the scratches are completely aligned.
- The bowl should be left for 24 hours.
- After one day, the place of formation of the defect is required to be treated with 2500 grit sandpaper and carefully wiped with a soft cloth.
Using a special kit for the repair of acrylic surfaces, you can eliminate chips up to 2 mm deep. In terms of composition, it is a putty containing a large amount of acrylic.
Reference! Before you begin to eliminate scratches, you need to buy a special composition and prepare the surface of the bowl.
To get rid of scratches, follow these steps:
- The damaged place needs to be pasted over with masking tape.
- Treat the area with 1200 grit sandpaper.
- Vacuum dust. Apply alcohol to the cloth and carefully wipe the surface.
- Prepare the mixture. How to do it is indicated in the instructions of the repair composition.
- Using a rubber spatula, apply the solution evenly on the damaged area.
- After 30 minutes, carefully remove the masking tape.
- After 24 hours, sand the surface with sandpaper and then wipe it with a soft cloth.
How to avoid scratching the bath
In order not to carry out such procedures regularly, after the purchase and installation of an acrylic bath, follow a few simple recommendations:
- Acrylic is a soft material, therefore it does not tolerate coarse mechanical impact. To clean the bath bowl, use only mild cleaning products: creams, gels, pastes.
- On sale you can find special products for cleaning acrylic surfaces. Get one and wash your bath or shower with it.
- Drying water has a negative effect on acrylic. Therefore, after taking a bath, it is desirable to wipe the bowl with a soft cloth.
- Hot items can cause damage - try to avoid contact with hot objects such as curling irons.
- Do not allow heavy and hard objects to fall into the bath - this will damage the coating.
- If the pet is washed in the bathroom, then place a rubber mat on the bottom of the bowl.
The appearance on the acrylic bath of various defects is an event, of course, unpleasant, but not terrible. After all, you can eliminate them on your own with the help of inexpensive means. With careful use, you can avoid scratches in the future.